Sunday, September 25, 2005

Broken Telephone / Che bella Italia!

So my phone conversation with my Mom yesterday went something like this:

Me: Hey Mom, guess what?
(much crackling, dead air, and static ensues on phone line as I was too cheap and miserly to spend the extra 20 euros to get a cell phone with good reception. Finally, after what seems like an eternity...)
Mom: What?
Me: I went to Italy yesterday.
(silence...dead air)
Mom: What?
Me: Mom, I went to Italy yesterday.
(more static)
Mom: Whaat?
Me: Mom. Mom.
Mom: What? You went where?
Me: Mom, can you hear me?
Mom (shouting): Yes, I can hear you, can you hear me?
Me (agitated): Ummm... kinda. Are you talking really loudly, I can barely hear you.
Mom (talking really loudly): Yes, I'm shouting! Where did you go?
Me: To Italy. Yesterday.
***crackle crackle***
Mom: You went to Italy? Wow! When did you go?
Me: What?
Mom: When?
Me: Whaat? Oh... yesterday. On Friday.
Mom: So you went to Italy yesterday.
Me: Yup.
Mom: Oh.... Cool! I can hear you much better now. So what were you saying?

FIN
***
Ummm... so yeah, for those of you who didn't quite get that (like you, Mom!), a short recap. On Friday, me, my roommate, and Mr. Marcinmoka himself (whose photoblog is, like, sooooo not a "blog" blog *wink* ) went to Italy and back- well, technically. Ventimiglia, Italy is 45 mins from Nice on the train and is mostly known for its cheap liquor and cheap food and bric-a-brack market (Toronto peeps- think Kensington Market). Most notably, Ventimiglia is a haven for cheap designer knockoffs like counterfeit Louis Vuitton handbags and vinyl shoes that vaguely ressemble Manolo Blahniks or a pair of Jimmy Choos. And so we went. And saw. And conquered. And I came out of the whole deal with a bagful of cheap fruits and a very functional brown scarf that I purchased for a mere 2 euros. Sweeeet. And to top it off, I ate gelato. In Italy.
Ah, la bella Italia!

7 Comments:

Blogger Virginia said...

Ahhh the scarf! It's an art form in France. :) Actually come to think of it it's an art form in most of Europe. It's cool up here in Bretagne, hopefully you're a little warmer down south!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

salut mademoiselle! it was great chatting with you on msn, even for the short little while. i've read your blog - great idea - and now i'm up to date on your adventures. your trip toronto-nice sounds similar to my much shorter but just as eventful paris-grenoble trek, however instead of two medium sized suitcases, i had a backpack and a broken large suitcase which i carried on my head! oh the memories! i must say, jealousy struck me... i've become green with envy! i miss france so much. europe in general. maybe one day soon, i'll make it back there again. enjoy your yummy food, and eat a pain au chocolat for me! maybe this weekend i'll go scope out toronto's french bakeries! you made my mouth water! ciao bella. a bientot!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny I love ur mom and the way you told the story is so fuuny. I am still laugh so hard lol. You are to much I shall enjoy your storys neika lol. I can see your mother doing the facial expressions when she was talking to you and her little remarks she would have about the horrible connection.lol hahaha. Anywho keep on enjoying yourself for 9 months and more lol love you neika.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the anonymous person is me natty lol hehe yeah slackness lol bye nerd

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a great blog Oneika. I was searching for information on hotel nice france and came across your post Broken Telephone / Che bella Italia! - not exactly what I was looking for related to hotel nice france but very interesting all the same!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oneikadoesfrance.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading oneikadoesfrance.blogspot.com every day.
payday cash advance
cash advance

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather curious topic

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home