Sunday, September 11, 2005

J'arrive! / (Mis)adventures in France

WARNING: this will be a LONG post... lol, so skim if you like!!
So I'm here! It's my 3rd day here and I'm in an internet cafe, but needless to say that after 20+ hours of transcontinental travel I'm finally in Nice, safe and sound. But of course, it being me, my arrival and subsequent "settling in" to my new life in Nice did not come without a few minor "glitches"... So most of you know that after an arduous search for lodging that I had finally found a studio apartment in a residence for students and young workers in Nice... yeah, well that didn't work out. Long story short, the place turned out not only to be located VERRRRRY far from the downtown core of Nice (which I had initially thought, it's actually located in the far eastern part of Nice), but it was also located in an "unsavoury" (aka kinda ghetto!!!!) part of town. The icing on the cake?? This residence should have really been called a "Roach Motel" for reasons that I won't elaborate on!! YUCK!!! Those of you who know me well know of my deathly fear of six-legged vermin so I wasn't about to stay in that place any longer than I had to!!! So after numerous and desperate phone calls home to Mom to complain/freak out/vent/get motherly advice, much hand-wringing, and after one horrid night in that place (sleeping with all the lights on and with one eye open LOL), I vacated the premises and moved myself and my two heavy suitcases all the way across town (on the public transit, to boot!) where I'm now staying in a hotel, LOL. Oh la la. Tomorrow I have to go back to that place to see how much of my money I can get back so wish me luck!! Luckily, I don't count on staying in the hotel for too long; I've been in contact with an American girl who will be teaching English at high schools (like me) and we'll be looking for an apartment together. She gets here on Wednesday!
Anyway, despite my "interesting" initiation to life in Nice, things are wonderful... The weather is gorgeous and the people in Nice are, well, very... nice lol. Some of the French people I've been talking to ask me if I'm from Quebec, don't realize I speak English, and tell me that I'm quite charming(LOL LOL LOL). As for getting to know people, I met up with another English assistant yesterday and she showed me around town (she moved to Nice a few weeks back with her French boyfriend). We walked along the beach boardwalk and sat down at an outdoor cafe, good times! Later on this evening I'm meeting up for drinks with another Canadian girl; she has actually been here for a few weeks, I think, teaching English at the local university. So should be fun!
Anyway, I'm off to the beach in a bit to enjoy the sea and the good weather! I'll write again soon, and feel free to write me and leave comments!! I love hearing from you guys!

8 Comments:

Blogger Oneika said...

June,
Believe me, my dear, I DREAM about acquiring friends of the MAGNUM variety... LOL... several, in fact ;-)
I got 'needs' dammit!!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello and welcome.

I have added you to the list of Nice bloggers:

http://nice.alpheccar.org/indexen.html

And I thank Fraise who told me about your blog.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Oneika said...

Hey Stacey!!
How are the preparations going, I haven't read your blog in a while!
take care and keep in touch, things are looking up for me in terms of the apartment search!

1:04 PM  
Blogger dirty dingus said...

Oneika,

if you are still a bit stuck with finding a place to live then you might look at either the riviera radio site (http://www.rivieraradio.mc ) and/or angloinfo ( http://riviera.angloinfo.com )

Bonne chance
Francis

2:19 PM  
Blogger SunsyneSmile05 said...

Hey Oneika,
I'm glad you got to France ok. I'll be doing that in 6 DAYS. AAAACK! How was taking the train after flying so long? I hope you weren't trop fatiguée...I hope things work out for you with the apartment. Maybe I'll be able to take a trip down to Nice and visit. You can of course come up to Bourges (not as exciting as Nice, but you'd be more than welcome). See you soon.

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for a place where I can learn more about forex, forex trading, forex forum and improve my online profit. I will be keeping an eye on your blog as I liked it a lot. Another site I found with forex forum resources is forex forum

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've nailed it in your last post. I had been googling for stuff on making money and I landed on your blog. I'm usually trying to focus on Forex Trading but your post on your blog caught my eye. Your blog is really cool because it was funny and you have an unusual perspective. It all fits together because this is how we work in real life too. With regrards to your post I think you gave some good advice and make some excellent points. Thanks!

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home