Sunday, September 18, 2005

French Women Don't Get Fat / Studies in Gluttony

#1 Reason as to my stomach told me 'thank you' this morning: I ate a whole baguette smothered with camembert cheese (and it was damn good, down to the last morsel, thank you very much). Ahhh, the sweet mystery of the French diet. I don't know how these people stay slim when so many carb-laden goodies comprise such a large part of their alimentation. Dr. Atkins must be rolling in his grave. Though the French must be doing something right. Or at least, something "right enough", since I distinctly remember that a few months back a French lady uncovered the "French paradox" in her book "French Women Don't Get Fat". Surely she made some good coin off of the sales (especially since the book was specially marketed to diet-crazed North Americans). She probably bought an abundance of cheese, bread, and wine with the revenues... ;-)
So back to my near religious experience with the baguette this hallowed Sunday morning. Yesterday (Saturday), in preparation for the 'big day', I went out to my local Monoprix (kinda like a smaller French version of Wal-mart?) and bought myself a block of camembert cheese (not too stinky, but just stinky enough). After scoping out a few bakeries in the area, I finally came upon the winning baguette; just the right color and texture (you know, not too doughy, but not too crusty)- still warm from the oven. Even though the plan was to buy the baguette en route to the Internet cafe, I couldn't pass up the opportunity of having warm bread and camembert cheese! So I rushed back to the apartment and ate the whole thing (though I initially thought to save half for dinner). And boy was it mmmm mmmm good lol. I could get used to this...

So... life in Nice is good. In other news, later on this evening I'm going to the movies; I'm supposed to be seeing "Les Poupées Russes" (The Russian Dolls), which is actually the sequel to "L'Auberge Espagnole" (The Spanish Apartment). It's about- well, actually, never mind, I'm too lazy too write any plot synopses lol. Though, Audrey Tatou, the girl from "Amélie", stars in both films. But whatever.
Anyway... gotta go as my stomach is growling, so I'm off to eat the fourth croissant in a four-pack of croissants that I bought... yesterday.

And, uh, no, my pants aren't getting tighter, they just... er... shrunk in the washer and dryer. But thanks for asking.
;-)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

I'm impressed -- you're really keeping up the site well although I wouldn't mind some pics of your new pad. A french terrace and warm baguettes -- it sounds heavenly. Especially in light of the fact that I'm posting this message while taking a break between my physics and my linear algebra homework.
I know you said your place is small, but it had better have enuf room for a reading week jaunt.
June

8:54 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

congrats on finding a great place Oneika! Needless to say, I'm jealous girl! Can't wait to come visit you and hit the beach!

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of stinky cheese, maybe you should try "la crotte du diable" someday. It's delicious, but don't try to have any social life during three days after…

Or a little Munster ?

Zombie12toes

12:10 AM  
Blogger Oneika said...

@ june, have you bought your ticket yet? im waiting for you to get here, dammit!

@ tiff! shame on you for not calling me before i left! you know my ass was up at 4 am, sitting on my suitcases to make everything fit! jokes.

@ crystal, tu es la bienvenue à nice! we can do a trade, i'm certain that i'm going to make a trip up to lille!

@ anon/zombie12, we'll have to see, though anything named "la crotte du diable" has gotta be good! LOL

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just found that French cats don't get fat either :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0307337804/qid=1127506410/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4866097-1573564?v=glance&s=books

La cuisine française, il n'y a que ça de vrai !

Zombie12toes

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home